Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer Treats


Lately, I have been exploring homemade frozen fruit bar recipes. It's ridiculously easy, and yet the kiddo is totally impressed that Mommy can make popsicles. I guess it's the simple things in life. As long as she keeps eating eggplant and squash disguised as lasagne, I am happy to hand her a "dessert" with two servings of fruit packed into it. She doesn't have to know all this is healthy.

The first round of popsicles I made were peach, honey and herb. Really good. But have to save that one for the book project. The other one was a bit more creative.

Pineapple-Cilantro Frozen Fruit Bars
1/2 of a pineapple, peeled, cored, diced
1/2 cup orange juice
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbs. agave nectar
1 tbs. chopped cilantro

Put all but the cilantro in the blender and blend until smooth. Fold in the cilantro (to keep the popsicle from ending up greenish). Pour into six popsicle molds and freeze at least two hours.

Just before the last bit where you pour the mix into molds, I was very tempted to dump in some ice and about six ounces of rum. It's been that kind of few weeks, kids. And it still sounds good. So, there's another approach. Note that the rum will prevent your mix from freezing into actual popsicles, in case you were thinking about that.

Whichever way you choose to make this, enjoy!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

my toddler (2.5) doesn't like popsicles yet! I just don't get it. Maybe too cold or something. But as soon as she does, I can't wait to start making some. I agree the fruit you can heap into them is great. No sugar additives and coloring!

I also liked your last post about the cereal. Until more recently I never thought about all the sugar in cereal and the craze of the packaging. I do like the ease of cereal, especially since I am not a morning person, but you just have to chose right. Thanks!