Saturday, May 16, 2009

Radish Chimichurri


I have to say, I have never loved radishes. I can eat one, bit of salt, but it's not a taste I love. It is an interesting flavor, though. A kind of sharp, spicy that could go well with other tastes. But what?

Always, always, turn to what else is in season. What's growing alongside the radish? Spring. Herbs. Mint. Cilantro.

The idea reminded me of a sauce I had on meat at an Argentinian restaurant — chimchurri. Generally made with parsely, but maybe that tangy bite could work.

It does. Well. Served on grilled flank steak. Enjoy.

Radish Chimichurri
1/2 cup cilantro, packed leaves
1/4 cup parsley, packed leaves
1/4 cup mint, packed leaves
20 small radishes, 1/2-1 inch diameter
4 spring onions, white plus 1 inch of green
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
1/8-1/4 crushed red pepper

Add radish to food processor and pulse, add onions, pulse. Add herbs, drizzle in oil and vinegar with processor running. Blend in salt and red pepper. Desired texture is coarse, not a puree.

5 comments:

Girlplustwo said...

man. and i can get radishes here too!

got your comment, i've missed you babe!

email me at girlplustwo@yahoo.com and i'll get you the info you asked for. and thank you.

thank you!

Chiot's Run said...

My radishes should be ready in the garden soon soon soon. I can't wait. I scored some baby ones at the farmer's market last weekend and ate most of them with some salt. The remainder got thinly sliced on top of a salad. MMMM.

I love fresh produce season.

ExpatChef said...

Fresh produce season is heaven. I bought four heads of lettuces. Salad every day!

Hey, Miss Jen! How are the islands?

Katie Zeller said...

I use radishes a lot in salads.. This is a wonderful idea! I always plant way too many....

Rebeca said...

Same case with me, i also don't like radish. But i don't know about radish Chimichurri, let me try.