Monday, November 10, 2008

Pumpkin Molasses Cookies

"What are doing, Kiddo? The cookies are not cooled yet."

"I'm just watching them to make sure they don't move."

"Okay, make sure they don't move into your mouth, deal?"

There are a few sacred recipes that I have hesitated to "recreate." As much as I love pumpkin (and have them lying around) you would think I would have gotten around to new recipes for old favorites. Perhaps it's the fear of disappointment, that the new recipe won't be as good. Or, really, that I am not that good if I can't make a better version.

When I was very young, my favorite cookie was not chocolate chip. My mom was not an enthusiastic cook, being the 70s and a working, single mom. Packaged foods were normal fare. But, every now and then, she would make these awesome cookies. Pumpkin with raisins. They were cakey, and moist, a bit spicy. I never had the recipe, and just now, some 35 years later, I am getting around to making a recipe of my own. I added a couple things like black strap molasses and an icing. I was not disappointed.

Pumpkin Molasses Cookies
1 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup black strap molasses (or regular)
3/4 brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup pumpkin (I used homemade puree)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. mace (or nutmeg)
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
2-1/4 cup flour (use 1 tbsp. less if using canned pumpkin)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the dry ingredients flour, salt, baking powder, spices together in a separate bowl. Cream the butter, molasses, brown sugar, egg and vanilla together. Add the pumpkin. Stir in the dry ingredients until blended well, but avoid overmixing. I know, it's vague, but just don't beat the hell out of the batter. Fold in the raisins.

Spoon onto the cookie sheet and bake for about 12-14 minutes depending on your oven. Allow to cool and prepare glaze.

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbs. cream
1 tbs. melted butter
1/2 tsp. orange extract

Blend to glaze consistency. Drizzle over cooled cookies.

Now, the pumpkin pie (my other longstanding favorite) is still a work in progress, but I really like the version I worked on over the weekend.

Honey Five Spice Pumpkin Pie
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) Pumpkin or 15 oz. home made puree
1 can (12 fl. oz.) Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie shell or your own crust.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix the dry ingredients, sugar, salt, spices. Beat the eggs, stir in the honey and pumpkin. Stir in the dry ingredients. Slowly stir in the evaporated milk.

Pour into pie crust. Bake for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350 and continue to bake for 45 minutes more. Cool and store in refrigerator. Serve with whipped cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a nicer way to use up pumpkin! Great photo's.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this amazing recipe! any problems with a Resume?